top of page

What did we just witness?

City entered the game in steely mood looking to bounce back from a

lacklustre performance last time out. Unfortunately, we didn't get the kinf of bounce we were looking for.

Ryan Ingrey came into the starting 11 playing a wide right role in front of new signing Alex Kerr who made an impressive debut at right back but it was the return of Jake Battersby that delighted the travelling support albeit starting on the bench. Meanwhile, Pat Staszewski and Liam Chadwick had been recalled to United so were unavailable.

City certainly started brightly, closing down well and attacking in positive fashion and it was Ingrey who opened the scoring on 16 mins, a superb ball in from a Mikey Davies free kick and Ingrey got ahead of his man for the deftest of headers into the far corner.

Davies then had an opportunity to put City 2 up but for the second week running his brilliant free kick shaved the outside of the post.

The home side's main focus of attack was using the pace of right winger Lewis Archer, and they were constantly looking for him, Mikey Davies was excellent in dealing with the threat and the only time he managed to get a cross in, it was smashed over the bar from 5 yards out by new signing Chris Cowley in what was Coleshills only significant attack of the half

The turning point in the game came 6 minutes into the sencond half. City broke at pace with Brad Rolt putting Stef Broccoli through but as he got into the box he was unceremoniously shoved in the back by the Coleshill fullback, a nailed on penalty that incredibly the referee saw as a dive and booked Broccoli even though the assistant referee was in the perfect position to see it but did nothing. If City had gone 0-2 up at that point it would have killed the match.

The game opened up with City pushing to get the killer goal and Coleshill looking for a lifeline. Joe Welch kept the score at 0-1 with an incredible one handed save from an Archer header, Brad Rolt saw his goal bound effort ricochet off the face of Stan Leech who had replaced the injured Broccoli and Coleshill had another back post header hit the bar.

The lifeline came for the home team in quite incredible circumstances, Jack Whelan was put through one-on-one with Joe Welch who was quick off his line and blocked the shot well with his body, but Whelans momentum took him over the keeper and the referee promptly pointed to the spot for a penalty. Absolute disbelief from everyone in the stadium. Sam Fitzgerald dispatched the spot kick.

To compound the Lilywhites misery, 2 minutes later speculative shot from range by Ashton Demulder took an awful bounce on what is quite possibly the worst 3G pitch in the country.

Joe Welch was behind the shot all the way but the ball skimmed across the floor then lept 3ft in the air and over the despairing dive of Welch. Affectionately known locally as 'The Coleshill bobble"

2 goals in 2 minutes and with only 7 minutes to play it was an uphill task to get back in the game, Taylor Parr came closest with a brilliant volley on the turn that went straight to the keeper.

A disappointing result for all the wrong reasons and another 3 points lost for really poor refereeing decisions. We go again at home to Shepshed Dynamo next week.

221 views0 comments


bottom of page