top of page

Harborough Town 3 -1 City

A disappointing evening in Market Harborough as City were soundly beaten in the land of the giants. As with last season Harborough have chosen height over finesse with their team and they use it very effectively with long ball tactics that will make them a dangerous outfit this season.

The only highlight of the match

Robbie made changes to the starting line up with Lewis Darlington replacing Dan Cotton and Isaac Maynard standing in for Scott Bridges

The stall was set out as early as the 5th minute when a long ball over the top found Dodzi Agbenu in acres of space and the Bees striker made no mistake slotting the ball past Joe Welch in the City goal.

The goal certainly woke the Lilywhites up and for the next quarter of an hour, City took control of the game and showed some real attacking intent. Their endeavours were rewarded on 21 minutes. Isaac Maynard danced through the towering centre-backs and was unceremoniously sandwiched between the two, the referee had no hesitation in awarding the free kick. Up stepped Mikey Davies who fired a superb strike over the wall and into the top corner of the net giving the keeper no chance. A piece of class in an otherwise industrious encounter.

That was as good as it got for City, most of our attacks were either thwarted by headed clearances or the delivery into the box was behind Stan Leech who worked tirelessly for little reward.

3 mins before halftime and Jake Battersby was replaced by Bradley Rolt after a coming together with a Harborough player left the City man holding his Jaw and unable to continue.

The second half started pretty much the same as the first, 3 mins in and Paul Malone smashed the ball home from 6 yards for 2-1 to the home side before many had even taken their places in the ground. The Bees then dominated the play for the next 20 mins and it was Malone again who killed the game on 68 minutes with another towering header that crashed off the underside of the bar.

Dan Cotton replaced the ineffective Lewis Darlington on 69 minutes and while City then began to pick up more of the play as a result there was cross after cross that were too easily dealt with by a well organised Harborough Defence.

Overall a poor performance that left the City faithful disappointed having started the season well with a home win over Gresley Rovers. We move on to our FA Cup tie with Newmarket on Saturday 19th August.

Unfortunately due to a technical issue, there is no Veo footage for this match but enjoy this effort from the man with the golden left foot. (Thanks to Chris Cox for providing the footage)

376 views0 comments


bottom of page