top of page

City pick up vital point - but it should have been more

City return from Walsall Wood with a valuable point. But that doesn't tell the whole story, most fans felt a little hard done by to not return with all 3.

The Lilywhites came into the game with notable absentees Manny Dahie, Richard Black, Bradley Rolt and Ryan Ingrey. Bruce Tsinonis came into the side to play alongside George Scales in Centre Midfield while Ed Tassell continued to display the fine form he has been in partnering captain, Taylor Parr at the back.

The game kicked off in blustery conditions and it was City who made an immediate impact inside the first minute. Jake Battersby put Stefan Broccoli through who reached the goal line and crossed in for Will Jones at the near post who beat the keeper but could only lift his header over the bar from close range, he was almost too close to the goal to get any power on his effort.

It was a good start though and on 22 minutes Mikey Davies delivered a corner from the right that was cleared back to him, he skipped past the defender and fired in a low effort from 20 yards that bobbled up off the surface in front of keeper Dale Eve and found the back of the net.

A deserved lead and City continued to pressure the home side, Will Jones turning sharply in the box but could only drag his shot wide.

City conceded a corner on 39 mins and the deep delivery cleared everyone except Charlie Manners who was free in the box, the number 10 side footed a tame effort back across goal and it somehow found it's it's way through a mass of bodies into the far corner via a couple of deflections.

There was still time in the half for one more effort from City, when Stefan Broccoli saw his long range effort just clear the bar with the keeper beaten.

The second half was mostly played out in the middle of the park with Walsall having the lions share of possession but City's back four were equal to everything that was thrown at them. Wood were never allowed to create a meaningful chance, resulting in a quiet afternoon for Joe Welch.

City created by far the better chances in the second half, Geroge Scales with a shot from 20 yards that was saved well by Eve and Ed Tassell with a brilliant header that was inches wide came, both coming close to getting their first goals for the club.

Will Jones had another close range header clear the bar. Broccoli grazed the bar after a brilliant run and shot, and Mikey Davies came close with a superb free kick.

Late in the game, and with the Walsall defenders wilting, Stefan Broccoli was brought down in the box right in front of the City faithful. A lazy challenge that clipped the attackers ankle tripping him but somehow both the referee and linesman missed it.

Walsall defender Asa Charlton picked up a very late 2nd yellow and subsequent red but by then it was too late for City to take advantage.

So we returned with a good point but disappointed that it wasn't more. We move on to a big weekend next weekend with City traveling to Rugby Town while Rushden and Diamonds take on Coventry Sphinx at Hayden Road. Could be a significant weekend for the teams battling it out at the bottom.

322 views0 comments


bottom of page