top of page

City March On

City continue the march towards Wembley with another convincing win over a top Southern League Central Division One side.

In a repeat of last season's FA Cup Preliminary round match, we travelled to Biggleswade FC looking for revenge after a 3-2 defeat had knocked us out of the competition.

City were quickest out of the blocks and although Biggleswade had most of the possession, it was the Lilywhites who looked the more likely. With 9 mins on the clock, Joe Hood latched onto the end of a deep cross from Jake Battersby and clipped the ball to the far post where Stefan Broccoli was on hand to nod home from close range.

Nothing more than City deserved for their creative attacking play and the lead was doubled 5 minutes later, Broccoli and Battersby combined down the left and the cross was deflected to Dan Cotton on the edge of the 18-yard box. With time to bring the ball down the City goal machine fired a low volley into the bottom corner giving Biggleswade keeper Dan Green no chance.

Biggleswade continued to press but were unable to create many clear-cut opportunities, Taylor Parr and Richard Black were winning everything at the back and with Scott Bridges dominating the midfield, it was always going to be a mistake or stroke of luck that allowed the home team back in.

That luck came in the form of a really soft freekick awarded to Lawrie Marsh after the Biggleswade number 4 threw himself to the ground on the edge of the box. The resulting freekick ricocheted off the wall and fell invitingly for the impressive Pemi Aderoju who slotted the ball home from close range.

City could have had a third after a brilliant passing move resulted in a Joe Hood cross that fizzed across the goal mouth, however, Dan Cotton sliding in at the back post couldn't quite wrap his foot around the ball.

The home side came out in the second half with renewed vigour but again they were restricted to a few half chances from range that never troubled Joe Welch. The City stopper was forced into a brilliant save from a point blank header but the flag was already up anyway.

The best chance of the second half fell to Joe Hood, when put through by Bradley Rolt, he outpaced the fullback and got a shot on target that was well saved by Green in the Biggleswade goal, the rebound going straight back to Hood who reacted quickly to get a header away that went agonisingly over the bar.

Another good away performance and a further progression to the next round where we'll face a tougher test at National League North outfit, Hereford FC on Saturday 30th September.

488 views0 comments


bottom of page