top of page

Cambridge City 0 - 0 Bedworth United

City and Bedworth battled out a goalless draw at Bridge Road on Saturday in a game where clear-cut chances were at a premium. Tom Waumsley had an early shot well saved by the visitors keeper and on eight minutes Dan Cotton’s shot from the edge of the box hit a defender and went clear.

The returning Jarid Robson came on as a sub on 16 minutes following a foul on Taylor Parr that left him unable to play on.

Bedworth began to create a number of half chances but Joe Welch was not severely tested. About ten minutes before the break Jarid Robson won a 50/50 ball in midfield and he crossed as he moved into the box but it failed to find either Dan Cotton or Ryan Ingrey and went to safety. Two minutes later Robson was booked for pulling back an opponent on the halfway line. Just before the break Tommy Rigby was fouled on the far edge of the box and from the resultant free kick Dan Cotton fizzed the ball across the face of the goal but there were no touches and it went out for a goal kick.

Overall a fairly scrappy first half with no clear cut chances, Bedworth just about edging it in terms of possession.

The 2nd half was more open with both sides looking for the winner. Four minutes into the half Jarid Robson had a header from a corner but it went wide. Ten minutes into the half Bedworth put together the best move of the game to that point that lead to the away team claiming a penalty but their claims were ignored by the referee. In the next couple of minutes City had long range shots from Tom Waumsley and Jarid Robson. A few minutes later Robson ran into the right-hand side of the box but his cross cum shot drifted over the bar. On fifty eight minutes Bedworth had a half chance via a corner and from the break Jarid Robson shot wide.

City picked up their 2nd booking just after the hour mark, Ryan Ingrey shown the yellow card. Ryan was replaced by Nathan Olukanmi a few minutes later.

With ten minutes to go City launched an attack involving Tommy Rigby who found Dan Cotton who shot across the face of the goal. Another good moved followed when Nathan Olukanmi found Isaac Maynard who passed it out to Dan Cotton. Cotton’s cross came to Jarid Robson who teed up Tommy Rigby but his shot went over the bar. With about five minutes to go Tommy Rigby was booked for a foul in midfield giving Bedworth a free kick. This was whipped in and Bedworth’s Edwin Edjenguele put the ball in the net but the goal was immediately ruled out for offside. In time added on Tom Waumsley became the fourth City player to be booked.

City were slightly the better team in the 2nd half and overall a draw was a fair result. This stretches City’s unbeaten run to four games across all competitions, with the tough test of a visit to 3rd place Halesowen Town coming up next weekend.

City: Welch, Akubuine, Miles, Maynard, Ofosu, Parr, Battersby, Rigby, Ingrey, Waumsley, Cotton. Subs Robson (replaced Parr 16 minutes), Chandler (not used), Olukanmi (replaced Ingrey 78 minutes), Swinton (not used)

The Onlooker

46 views0 comments


bottom of page