Dev. Team
City Development 4 St Neots Res 1
City Development 3 Bar Hill SSC 1
City Development 2 Cherryhinton 4
Linton Granta 4 City Development 1
City Development 2 Eaton Socon 1
City Development 1 Eynesbury Rovers Res 6

 Site Home 
News Section
New Ground
Official News
CCFC Trust
Dev. Team
Ladies & Girls
Disability Teams
External Site
1st Team
 Match Reports 
 League Table 
 1st Team Profiles 
 & Goalscorers 
 City Gallery
 Video Highlights 
Club Shop
 The City Store 
The Fans
Supporters' Trust
 City Travel
 The Club 
 Club History 
 Playing Record 
 Club Contacts 
Off The Field
Patrons Club

Dev. Team

City Development 2 Ely Reserves 3
Posted by Chris Hale
Feb 9, 2019, 17:12

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
It was a good start for the Development Team when in the 2nd minute, Bobby Friel's shot was blocked, but Harry Farrow was there to hook the ball in the net and give City an early lead.

Play was fairly open and end to end with a 2nd City goal looking more likely than an Ely equaliser. But, after eighteen minutes play, and with no pressure on him, it was a careless back pass from the Ely fullback, that, with a bit of assistance from the cross wind, trickled in to net ahead of the diving keeper's fingers to give City a 2 goal lead.

Ely upped their game as City dropped the pace and they nearly pulled a goal back in the 24th minute when, following a free kick, they got the ball in the net, but the referee had adjudged there was a push in the box. It was 4 minutes later when, following a well worked move they finally succeeded in reducing the arrears.

The final five minutes of the half saw City keeper, Joe Isaacson make a fine reflex save from two yards out and at the other end, Harry Farrow was unlucky to see his snap shot squeeze between two defenders but swerve the wrong side of the post.

Half time: City Development 2 Ely Reserves 1.

The 2nd half saw City come close to increasing their lead when a Chris Racher cross from the left found Harry Farrow at the far post, but his tap goalwards was halted by the flailing hand of the visiting keeper.

It was developing into a very open game with both sides creating some useful attacking moves, but in the 58th minute a lack of concentration in defence allowed Ely to make it 2 - 2.

Ely now started to increase the pressure on a City side that was starting to look rather disjointed, and the City goal had a few lucky escapes.

It was at the other end in the 74th minute when the ball, Harry Farrow and the Ely keeper all met in mid-air in the Ely goalmouth. Harry came off worse and the ball stayed out of the net.

Four minutes later failure to clear the City lines allowed Ely to take the lead with a third goal.

In the final ten minutes City fought hard to get back into the game but Ely defended valiantly In the last minute of the game they had a final chance to get the equaliser when Bobby Freil, ten yards out and with only the keeoer to beat, put it straight into his arms.

Final score: City Development 2 Ely Reserves 3.

City team: Joe Isaacson, Ben Steele, Ben Stamer, Will Evans (C), Morgan Cogman-Wright, Mapeo Mendes, Chris Racher, Lewis Carter, Bobby Freil, Harry Farrow, Jude White.

Subs: Elliot Johnson, Tommy Horton, Best Toke, Ricardo Green.
Sub not used: Matt Jenkins.

© Copyright 2003-18 Cambridge City FC

Top of Page

Development Team Section