Official News
Match Preview: City v Welwyn
Oyinsan return boosts City
Match Preview: Coleshill Town v City
Capel in Ely switch
City flop again
Two more added to squad
Match Preview: City v Berkhamsted
New signing
City grab a point at Kempston
Match Preview: Kempston v City
City brushed aside by Aylesbury
League action tonight
Sixty years ago today: The first floodlight game v West Ham United
Late strike denies City again
Match Preview: Aylesbury United v City

 Site Home 
News Section
New Ground
Official News
CCFC Trust
Dev. Team
Ladies & Girls
Disability Teams
External Site
1st Team
 Match Reports 
 League Table 
 1st Team Profiles 
 & Goalscorers 
 City Gallery
 Video Highlights 
Club Shop
 The City Store 
The Fans
Supporters' Trust
 City Travel
 The Club 
 Club History 
 Playing Record 
 Club Contacts 
Off The Field
Patrons Club

Official News

City suffer heavy defeat at Corby
Posted by Webmaster
Dec 29, 2018, 17:40

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
EVO-STIK League South Div. One Central: Corby Town 4 Cambridge City 1

City's revival of fortunes rather hit the buffers this afternoon as they went down to a heavy defeat at the hands of Corby Town.

City were undone early on after only six minutes when a Jordan Crawford corner was flicked on and Joel Carta was on hand to thump the ball home. City looked for a quick reply and forced a couple of good situations, but Corby's defensive line held firm to keep them out.

However, a leveller was to arrive on 26 minutes when Josh Oyinsan knocked the ball home from close range following a Mickey Davis free-kick. Elliot Sandy then had a couple of very good chances to put the hosts back in front, but failed to capitalise on either.

As half-time loomed, Corby thought they had regained the lead when the ball was forced home by Crawford, but the referee had other ideas, and following a discussion with his assistant, ruled the goal out.

The second half turned out to be one to forget for City as Corby netted three times. The first after 49 minutes saw Crawford find the back of the net and this time it did count. City attempted to rally but another goal eight minutes later through substitute Tolani Omotola, his first for the Steelmen, left them with a mountain to climb.

City never recovered from that quick double and the game was ended as a contest on 77 minutes when Sandy struck a firm shot from distance. Jamie Head palmed the ball, but it still managed to trickle over the line to end a miserable day for the Lilywhites.

© Copyright 2003-19 Cambridge City FC

Top of Page