Dev. Team
City Development 1 Foxton 2
City Development Team v Foxton
Brampton 1 City Development 0
City Development 1 Shelford 7
City Development 4 St Neots Res 1
City Development 3 Bar Hill SSC 1

 Site Home 
News Section
New Ground
Official News
CCFC Trust
Dev. Team
Ladies & Girls
Disability Teams
External Site
1st Team
 Match Reports 
 League Table 
 1st Team Profiles 
 & Goalscorers 
 City Gallery
 Video Highlights 
Club Shop
 The City Store 
The Fans
Supporters' Trust
 City Travel
 The Club 
 Club History 
 Playing Record 
 Club Contacts 
Off The Field
Patrons Club

Dev. Team

City Development Team 1 Bar Hill SSC 3
Posted by Chris Hale
Sep 29, 2018, 18:01

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
A lack lustre first half resulted in the Development Team being knocked out of the Kershaw Premier League Cup at the first round.

The game opened with both teams moving the ball well and putting together some positive moves. The City side looking controlled but lacking their usual pace and verve.

Bar Hill came close to opening the score after 12 minutes when they were awarded a free kick five yards outside the box. The well taken kick cleared the wall, hit the bar and bounced back into play. Two minutes later, at the other end, a curling twenty yard shot from Lewis Carter caused the visiting keeper to dive to his left and palm the ball away.

Bar Hill were gradually taking control of the game, most of which was taking place in the City half. The City defence looking particularly susceptible to corners, free kicks and crosses into the box and the inevitable happened in the fourteenth minute. City keeper Kieran Petty, who was partially unsighted, did well to get to a shot which sneaked past his defence, but failed to hold the ball and saw it whipped into the net to give Bar Hill a one goal lead.

With their tails up Bar Hill now increased the pressure as the City defence struggled and after thirty minutes a cross from the left was converted into Bar Hill's second goal, a third coming ten minutes later when City failed to clear a Bar Hill free kick down by the corner flag.

City showed they were not yet down and out when, with two minutes left to half time, Bar Hill failed to clear their lines and it was Josh Lowe who got the final touch to make it Cambridge City 1 Bar Hill 3 at half time.

Half time words from the coaching team had a notable effect.

It was a changed City side. They upped the pace, played with passion and took the game to Bar Hill, finally doing justice to their new strip showing the logo of their sponsors, Coversure Insurance Services.

For forty five minutes they had the majority of the play and at times ran rings round the opposition, but although they were creating chances, they couldn't get the ball in the net.

Bar Hill's only real chance of the half was blunted by a brave save from an onrushing Kieran Petty when the City defence was beaten.

At the other end the nearest City came to getting the ball in the net was when Chris Racher was unlucky to see his shot just squeezed out of the top corner and away for a corner by the keeper.

It was the proverbial game of two halves. A first half to forget, but lessons to learn. A second half to bring a smile of satisfaction to the management team.

Final score City Development Team 1 Bar Hill SSC 3.

City Team: Kieran Petty, Matt Jenkins, Sam Minns, Harvey Bullin, Ben Tulloch, Henry Hall, Tom Goodjohn, Lewis Carter(C), Josh Lowe, Harry Farrow, Jamie Judge.

Subs (All used): Bradley Cann, Chris Racher, Morgan Stephens, Christian Carter.

© Copyright 2003-18 Cambridge City FC

Top of Page

Development Team Section