Official News
Away travel to North Leigh
FA Trophy Draw
Oyinsan in the goals as City oust Sports
Match Preview: Peterborough Sports v City
Cambs Invitation Cup Draw
Jolley steps down from Development role
Oyinsan fires City to big win
Match Preview: City v Yaxley
City have to settle for a draw
Steve Gawthrop on 105FM later today
Match Preview: Dunstable Town v Cambridge City
New board member appointed
Another win, another clean sheet.. good signs
Match Preview: Welwyn v City
City get back to winning ways

 Site Home 
News Section
New Ground
Official News
CCFC Trust
Dev. Team
Ladies & Girls
Disability Teams
External Site
1st Team
 Match Reports 
 League Table 
 1st Team Profiles 
 & Goalscorers 
 City Gallery
 Video Highlights 
Club Shop
 The City Store 
The Fans
Supporters' Trust
 City Travel
 The Club 
 Club History 
 Playing Record 
 Club Contacts 
Off The Field
Patrons Club

Official News

Looking back sixty years
Posted by Andrew Dunn
May 11, 2018, 09:19

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
Sixty years ago yesterday Cambridge City played its last ever game as an amateur team. A decision had been made in January 1958 to end 50 years of amateur status and turn professional for the 1958-59 season. At the time that decision was made entry to the Eastern Counties League seemed the most likely outcome but by the time the last game as an amateur team was played the club knew it would be joining the Southern League for the 1958-1959 season, the top league outside of The Football League.

The usual game to mark the end of the season saw a top amateur club invited to play at Milton Road for The Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cup. To mark City’s departure from the Athenian League an Athenian League XI were the opponents. An above average crowd of 1,986 assembled at Milton Road on Saturday 10th May 1958 to see the end of an era match. City’s last amateur XI was:
Gerald Biggadike, Gerry Spaxman, Stewart Rowney, Tony Brown, Peter Matthews, Mike Johnson, John Race, George Scanlan, Albie Ellis, Bob English and Reg Voisey. The majority of these players were regulars for City that season with the exception of English and Scanlan who were University men who made a handful of appearances each. The Athenian team was made up of representatives from Maidstone United, Hounslow Town, Southall, Barnet and Hendon.

The honour of scoring the last amateur goal for Cambridge City fell to John Race who scored just before the hour. His goal was described by the local press as having a “sense of anti-climax about it” as the defenders all stopped expecting Race to be given offside but he wasn’t and the goal stood.

This goal signalled an increase in the tempo of the game as City looked to extend their lead and the Athenians trying to draw level. With just three minutes to go MacDonald of Hounslow Town placed the ball beyond Biggadike to equalise. An additional 10 minutes each way of extra time was played to try and find a winner but no more goals were scored. City’s skipper Tony Brown won the toss of the referee’s coin and as a result City ended the amateur era as holder of the Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cup, presented to the captain by the Mayor of Cambridge, Councillor Smith.
City being presented with the Addenbrookes Hospital Cup after their last game as an amateur team

Article courtesy of Neil Harvey, Club Historian

© Copyright 2003-18 Cambridge City FC

Top of Page