Official News
Match Preview: City v Welwyn
Oyinsan return boosts City
Match Preview: Coleshill Town v City
Capel in Ely switch
City flop again
Two more added to squad
Match Preview: City v Berkhamsted
New signing
City grab a point at Kempston
Match Preview: Kempston v City
City brushed aside by Aylesbury
League action tonight
Sixty years ago today: The first floodlight game v West Ham United
Late strike denies City again
Match Preview: Aylesbury United v City

 Site Home 
News Section
New Ground
Official News
CCFC Trust
Dev. Team
Ladies & Girls
Disability Teams
External Site
1st Team
 Match Reports 
 League Table 
 1st Team Profiles 
 & Goalscorers 
 City Gallery
 Video Highlights 
Club Shop
 The City Store 
The Fans
Supporters' Trust
 City Travel
 The Club 
 Club History 
 Playing Record 
 Club Contacts 
Off The Field
Patrons Club

Official News

Ninety years since Amateur Cup semi-final
Posted by Andrew Dunn
Mar 10, 2018, 09:44

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
Today marks the 90th anniversary of the furthest foray into any of the Football Associationís cups by Cambridge City FC. †

In 1928, the then Cambridge Town reached the semi final of the FA Amateur Cup, getting through four rounds of the competition in the process.

In the 1st round Royal Army Service Corps (Aldershot) were beaten 3-1 at Milton Road. Next up were Isthmian League giants Wycombe Wanderers and it looked like Cambridge Town had missed their chance after a 1-1 draw at Milton Road. The following weekend Town pulled off probably their best ever result in the Amateur Cup, a stunning 8-3 win on the slope at Loakes Park. Town got the luck of the draw in the 3rd round, with a home tie against Stockton the reward.† An official gate of 5,145 were at Milton Road to see a 2-1 win for Town. This result put Town into the 4th round stage for the first time. Town avoided the remaining North-Eastern trio of Bishop Auckland, Cockfield and Willington and were drawn away to Barking. A crowd of 6,000 assembled at their Vicarage Field ground and City rode their luck, emerging 3-2 winners with Barking missing three penalties!

The semi final was against the current holders Leyton, the match played at Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC on Saturday 10th March 1928. Travelling fans from Cambridge numbered 2,000 out of the 8,000 strong crowd. At half time Town were 2-0 down and with 15 minutes left Leyton had stretched their lead to 4-0.† Hopes of an appearance in the showpiece final were fading on the banks of The Thames when Reg Bell pulled a goal back. Any hopes of a comeback were quashed when a Sid Duller own goal gave Leyton their fifth. Town pulled one back straight from the kick-off through another own goal but the game was up and future FIFA President Stanley Rouse, referee on the day, brought the game to an end. †

For the record Leyton beat Co. Durham village team Cockfield in the Final at Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough. †

Cambridge Town/City competed regularly in the Amateur Cup until 1958 but never again matched that run in 1928, a quarter final defeat at Enfield in 1935 the next best effort. †

Article courtesy of Neil Harvey, CCFC Historian

Extracts below of an admission and line-ups for the game against Leyton.

© Copyright 2003-19 Cambridge City FC

Top of Page