On this day in 1908 City, then Cambridge Town, played their first ever fixture.
The game saw City away to Bury United and was played at the Cemetery Road ground (roughly where Cineworld is). This ground was the home of football in Bury until the mid 1970s, known as the Kings Road ground for most of its existence.
Of the XI selected to play, Winfield, Everitt, Richardson, Goodman, Halls, Doig and Unwin all featured regularly for predecessor club St Mary's. Kisby was signed from St Ives Town, Murkitt came from Huntingdon Town, Porter from Cambridge-based Albert Institute and Shipp had played for Bury United the previous season. All with the exception of Unwin, Murkitt and Shipp all were regulars for Cambridge Town in the seasons leading up to the First World War.
The game finished 2-1 to Bury United.
|A newspaper report from the first Cambridge Town fixture back in 1908
© Copyright 2003-18 Cambridge City FC
Top of Page