Official News
Oyinsan return boosts City
Match Preview: Coleshill Town v City
Capel in Ely switch
City flop again
Two more added to squad
Match Preview: City v Berkhamsted
New signing
City grab a point at Kempston
Match Preview: Kempston v City
City brushed aside by Aylesbury
League action tonight
Sixty years ago today: The first floodlight game v West Ham United
Late strike denies City again
Match Preview: Aylesbury United v City
Make your best bet with Bet Victor

 Site Home 
News Section
New Ground
Official News
CCFC Trust
Dev. Team
Ladies & Girls
Disability Teams
External Site
1st Team
 Match Reports 
 League Table 
 1st Team Profiles 
 & Goalscorers 
 City Gallery
 Video Highlights 
Club Shop
 The City Store 
The Fans
Supporters' Trust
 City Travel
 The Club 
 Club History 
 Playing Record 
 Club Contacts 
Off The Field
Patrons Club

Official News

First three points on the board
Posted by Webmaster
Aug 15, 2017, 21:45

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
EVO-STIK South - East Division: Aylesbury 1 Cambridge City 2

As on Saturday, City got off to a flying start. With only a minute on the clock, a long throw caused chaos in the home defence and Ian Miller seized upon the loose ball to put City ahead. The joy was short lived however as Aylesbury equalised from the kick-off. Ty Deacon was allowed to burst through, Niall Conroy in the City goal saved his shot, but could do nothing as the ball fell to Jeanmal Prosper to tap home.

The frenetic pace continued and City should have reclaimed the lead five minutes on following a swift counter-attack. Tom Knowles low cross found Salim Relizani, but he showed little composure and blasted his effort over the bar. The home side responded with Jonny Montgomery twice trying his luck from distance, first with a forty yard lob then a much better effort that whistled over Conroy’s bar.

As the minutes ticked by it was City who looked the most likely to add to the scoring as first Lewis Wilson headed over, then Knowles, finding space out on the left drew a good save from James Weatherill in the home goal with a skidding shot.

The home side weren’t without threat though and twice Montgomery, who was pulling all the home sides strings, pinged excellent passes out wide that should have delivered more, only for the opportunities to be squandered when the final ball was found wanting.

The sides turned round at half-time still level, but City almost got their noses in front within a minute of the restart. Echoing the early moments of the first half, a long throw again caused the Aylesbury defence a problem, but this time Weatherill was able to smother the ball before any damage was done.

At the other end, Montgomery was still having his efforts thwarted as he twice found Kerran Lataille, but on both occasions, his team mate failed to capitalise. A well worked corner provided an opportunity for Ben Stevens, but he could only find the side netting. With Aylesbury threatening, City needed a response and thought they had won a spot kick on the hour when Knowles was scythed down in the box, the referee saw nothing wrong though and waved play on. Knowles had reason to feel aggrieved, but he was smiling only minutes later when a slip in the home defence let him in, and he made no mistake beating the outrushing Weatherill to put City ahead.

Aylesbury looked to hit back quickly and Prosper couldn’t believe it when nobody got a touch on his cross that fizzed across the face of the City goal. Deacon then had a fleeting sight of the target, but he was soon closed down and the chance disappeared.

With five minutes left, substitute Josh Lowe came close to extending City's advantage with a well struck shot from the edge of the area, but Weatherill was equal to it, beating the ball away.

In the dying moments Aylesbury thought they had found a leveller. However, Jordan Jenkins goalbound effort was cleared off the line. Minutes later the home sides frustrations got the better of them when Craig Carby received a straight red for a reckless two footed lunge. It had no bearing on the result though as the final whistle went soon after to give City a well deserved three points.

City Line-up
1. Niall Conroy
2. Ben Robinson (booked)
3. Jordan Norville-Williams
4. Harry Norman
5. Jordan Gent
6. Ian Miller (c) (goal 1)
7. Salim Relizani
8. Ryan Towner
9. Lewis Wilson
10.Oliver Snaith
11.Tom Knowles (booked) (goal 65)

12.Michael King (9-83) (booked)
14.Ryan Sharman (10-45)
15.Adam Capel
16.Josh Lowe
17.Alex Lyratzopolous (7-90)

Aylesbury FC: 1.James Weatherill, 2.Anthony Ball, 3.Craig Carby (sent off), 4.Jonny Montgomery, 5.Jordan Jenkins (c), 6.Derek Feyi, 7.Kerran Lataille, 8.Kieron Schmidt, 9.Ty Deacon, 10.Jeanmal Prosper (goal 2), 11.Ason Goss (booked)

Subs: 12.Davis Haule, 13.Matt Cruse, 14.Harry Scott (7-65), 15.Ben Stevens (6-44), 16.Ryan Marsden (8-30)

Referee: Jeffrey Aldous
Assistants: Lee Jessup and Tom Cartwright

Attendance: 103

© Copyright 2003-19 Cambridge City FC

Top of Page